Obtaining a Work Permit to Work in Europe

The EU is a political and economic union consisting of 28 countries, all with their own rules and regulations when it comes to visas and work permits. Most European countries have programs where they lure foreign professionals to fill job shortages, as well as a variety of basic work permits and visa options that non-EU citizens can apply for. In this article we will look at the different work visas available.

Who needs a Visa to work in Europe? 

Citizens of the USA, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, as well as EU citizens do not need to apply for a work visa to Europe. However, upon arriving at the country where they will be working, they have to apply for their residence and work permit.

The European Blue Card

The European blue card allows you to work in 25 out of the 28 EU countries. The countries that do not issue this kind of work permit are UK, Ireland and Denmark. The basic requirements are a university degree or at least 5 years professional experience, as well as a job offer which pays at least 150% of the countries minimum wage and lasts for a least one year. You should apply 4-6 months prior to your trip to the EU country you plan to work in and should apply at a consulate or embassy in your country of residence. The cost of a European Blue Card is €140.

What happens if I change jobs or become unemployed?

After 18 months on a Blue Card workers can apply for a new blue card for a different country. After 2 years on a blue card candidates are often free to change jobs with their employer, or start working for a new employer in the same country. Some countries are more restrictive in regards to changing jobs and employers. If a blue card holder loses their job they are given 3 months to remain in the country and look for work. They are able to claim social security benefits in this time. If they are still unemployed after 3 months their blue card may be withdrawn.

The Schengen Visa

A Schengen visa does not allow you to work, but is a short stay visa allowing visitors to visit one or more countries within the Schengen region for tourism or business purposes. Depending on your reasons for visiting the Schengen countries and the frequency of your visits, the Schengen consulate can issue you a single-entry visa, double-entry visa or a multiple-entry visa. The cost of a Schengen visa fee is €80 per adults and you should apply 2 months before you travel. Still, depending on the age of the applicant, nationality and some other factors, there are categories that will have to pay a lower fee or no fee at all.

How TCP can help?

Non-EU potential candidates may find difficulties in obtaining working visas to enable them to work in Europe. TCP has established a solid reputation and relationships with local authorities across Europe, supporting work visa applications in the following countries; Denmark, Finland, Norway, Germany, Belgium.

We have over 25 years experience in visa/residency permit applications so would be able to advise both you and your candidate about the best possible practice when it comes to work visas, while also being here to assist with the application in full.

We are the experts and can assist you with all aspects of you application. To find out more please fill out our contact us form or contact a member of our sales team on +44 (0)208 580 0800.

Related Posts